Diabetes is a deadly chronic disease that has affected a large number of people worldwide. Diabetes which is not controlled may have serious complications such as heart and kidney disease, blindness etc. Maintaining a low carbohydrate intake can really help reduce and prevent blood sugar spikes as well as greatly reduce the overall risk of diabetes complications.
Foods diabetics should avoid
• Rice and Pasta-Rice and pasta usually have a high carbohydrate percentage. Consuming them could lead to the increase in blood sugar levels especially in people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
• Fruit-Flavored Yogurt-Fruit flavored yogurt may be a bad idea for diabetics because they may contain high levels of sugar and carbohydrates which can be bad for diabetics.
• Flavored coffee drinks– Flavored drinks are also loaded with carbohydrates which can raise the blood sugar level and hence is not advisable for diabetic individuals.
• Honey– Honey has a lot of sugar which might not go well with diabetic people hence they should steer clear of it.
• Dried Fruit-Fruits may be a great source of several important vitamins and minerals including vitamin C but when the fruit is dried, it results in loss of water which leads to an even higher concentration of nutrients including sugar. And if you have diabetes it would have complications for you hence you should avoid dried fruits.
• Fruit Juice-Fruit Juice usually contains a lot of sugar which is not healthy for a diabetic. It is often considered a healthy beverage but its effect on blood sugar are actually similar to those of sodas. It has fructose which is the type of sugar that drives insulin resistance, obesity and heart diseases.
• French fries-Potatoes are usually very rich in carbohydrates and hence diabetic individuals should avoid such foods as much as possible. Deep-frying foods produce high amounts of toxic compounds which may promote inflammation and increase the risk of diseases.